Wednesday 27 July 2011

Next day out

Monday afternoon, baby and I ventured out together, alone, for the first time - I promised my workmates I would visit 'some time between 2 and 4:30'.

We got out of bed at 3:00.

I did have success with the drive. I remember the drive home from hospital was crazy stressful - both the husband and I were hyper aware about everyone else on the road, every corner, every bump. I very nearly jumped out of the car at the traffic lights to look to make sure she was okay, but managed to resist. Comparatively, my drive was easy going... although I noticed I no longer had the need to try to beat my 7-minute record. Or 'win' at all the roundabouts. Or faff around with the lack of choice of CD's in the husbands car.

I did not have success with the stroller. I parked in a quiet part of the shopping centre carpark so that I could take my time to work out how to unfold the thing - I knew there was a high chance I'd get it wrong and then lose. my. shit.

But I guess the fact that I couldn't open the freaking thing AND I didn't totally crack it is a success in itself. Although I gotta admit, I don't like presenting myself as the frazzled woman who pulls in to a shopping centre, spends five minutes trying to unfold a pram, calls home to tell her husband "I'm. not. an. idiot. I. AM. pressing. the. GRAY. button." tries again for another five minutes, then drives back out of the carpark.

If I had not promised people that I would come in and see them, I'm pretty sure I would have experienced a pretty fantastic release of those post baby blues.

And I think they picked up pretty quickly that I was not cheery-chirpy, based on the jibing I got about my baby having a full vocab of swear words by the time she is one.

You'll be pleased to know I got 'taught' how to use the stroller that night, in a relatively unpatronising manner (there are three gray buttons on the stroller, but of course I can not for the life of me find the one that I was pressing to demonstrate to the husband), so I'll be trying to hit up the DFO later this week to expand my wardrobe of track pants and schleppy jumpers.

No comments:

Post a Comment