Sunday 12 February 2012

Tantrums

The baby and I were out with my parents today, from 10am until close to 3pm. This meant that her only two sleeps were in the car - she wouldn't go back to sleep when we got home and I put her in her cot.

At around 5.30 I managed to 'trick' her in to a nap, by putting her on my belly and patting her butt while we watched tv, but she didn't even have a full 45 minutes.

Then she was craaaaaaaaanky. She was overtired and hungry and just generally disgruntled, and we got an idea of what she will be like as a toddler - she was sitting in her highchair, making a cranky crying noise. The husband and I tried to give her some salmon, and she just turned her head and yelled. We tried to give her her water in her cup (she showed me on Thursday that she can pick up her own sippy cup and drink water) but she would have a mouthful, have a cough and then throw it at the floor (just missing our chihuahua!). The husband cut up some toast, she scopped it towards her and threw half of it straight on the floor.

We managed to subdue her with hugs and a bath (her first in 2.5 weeks, you won't believe how much I want this harness to come off next week) (also, she put her head in the water and did a scary splash around - I felt TERRIBLE) and she was almost a new baby after that.

But as I was sitting there, just not sure how to progress with her, I realised that she's likely to have me under the thumb when she's doing this 'for real' in a year or two.

I must do some reading on the best way to handle this in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment